On 05/08/2013 06:54, Ted Lemon wrote:
> While I think getting slides in on time is great for a lot of reasons,
> reading the slides early isn't that important.   What is important is that
> remote people see the slides at the same time as local people.   For that, it
> seems to me that Meetecho support does exactly what is needed.   You just
> follow the slideshow online, along with the audio.
>
> Of course, in order to have Meetecho support, you need the slides in advance
> of the meeting, preferably far enough in advance that it doesn't create a
> massive hassle for the Meetecho team. But by making Meetecho the place where
> the slides are presented, you ensure that everybody is on an equal footing,
> without engaging in punitive behavior.
>
> The main reason to want to see the slides in advance is so that the working
> group chairs can evaluate them to see if they will actually be a good use of
> time.   But that's completely orthogonal to the remote participation issue.

For remote attendees, there is a distinct advantage in having time to
download & store slides in advance. There are still plenty of places
where real-time bandwidth is an issue and audio and jabber may be
all you can get.

There is another equally important reason for having them well in advance,
for both on-site and remote attendees: so that participants can review
them in advance, decide which of several clashing sessions to attend, and
even prepare questions. This applies even if the slides summarise a draft
that was available two or three weeks in advance. Things are often
expressed differently in the slides.

Finally: a deadline one week before the meeting is no harder to meet
than one minute before the meeting. If it's a zero-tolerance deadline,
people will meet it.

   Brian