I am aware of that - I have been using gcc exclusively for experimentation. If you look closely, I didn't use gcc. I used g++ (I concede, its not the right choice). And I really wasn't bothered about the output filename or format- so just neglected the o/p filename part. I had to specify that you had to run ./a.out because earlier I had posted the command g++ map.c .
ശ്യാം ചേട്ടാ, don't get worked up about it! (:P) You seem jumpy lately! I had to complement my earlier post. Thats all! Regards, Gokul Das On Jun 25, 6:29 pm, sa <[email protected]> wrote: > > On my machine too, omitting the -o option generates "a.out". > > Just FYI, a.out stands for assembler.output file. The original UNIX was > wriiten using an assembler, which produced a fixed output file named > "a.out" to indicate that it was the one from assembler. Though no assembly > needs to be done in modern compilers (linking and loading of object files > is done now), that tradition continues and output of CC (gcc here) is > by default a.out! > > Ansal. --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ "Freedom is the only law". "Freedom Unplugged" http://www.ilug-tvm.org You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ilug-tvm" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected] For details visit the website: www.ilug-tvm.org or the google group page: http://groups.google.com/group/ilug-tvm?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
