On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Sagar Belure <sagar.bel...@gmail.com>wrote:

<Snip>

> Maybe I'm asking another noob question.
> But, wanted to know, how the big companies gain profit who run Free
> and Open Source project like Mozilla, Apache, etc.
> Of course, even if you are working for Free and Open source projects,
> there has to be some income.
>

> </snip>

Businesses don't buy softwares, they buy solutions. Which inevitably solve
there one or other problem.

If you are looking forward to ideate onto a product , get into product
development , create marketing/sales system , create a delivery channel
, fix bugs/releases and create a efficient support system for your
consumers. Great , go ahead do it. But have atleast a million dollars and
couple of years with you before making a sustainable business venture.

There are tons of proprietary softwares coming out daily and they will
continue to be out in the market. FOSS model works perfectly when you want
to crowdsource all the effort including development, bug fixing
, delivery channel and marketing. All this while still you own the
software.

Imagine the amount of marketing spend you have to do if you need to make
apache , firefox a brand which it is currently. It's a very smart way to
create a sustainable brand , rest of money will follow from various other
ways.

Look at Wordpress (Matt), Canonical (Mark) and read through
there entrepreneurial journey, these guys get the FOSS culture and mass
needs perfectly and cashing it out for there own good. It's a very smart way
of doing business, only when you get it perfectly.

And in the end there is always the freelancing model of work through which
hundreds of indian freelancers and IT professionals are making crores each
year. A perfect need of market where a client A needs some solution and
freelancer B takes some open source software customize it with the client
need and meet the solution of client. A is always charged of the full
software value and the open source software benefits from
the customization and module development B has done. A win win situation for
everyone. :)

My two cents.

Regards,
Gaurav Mishra