On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 02:29:23PM +0530, Anupam Jain wrote:
> A little background first - When I do apt-get install downloads from my
> company internet it provides a high burst of speed (400-500KB/s) for the
> first 10 seconds or so before dropping down to a tenth of that (40-50KB/s),
> and then after a few minutes to a truly miserable (4-5KB/s). This makes me
> think that the sysadmin has implemented some sort of a network throttling
> scheme.

Many ISPs/traffic shaping infrastructures provide burstable speeds.
Since most traffic for these ISPs are primarily web clients which
generally finish their business in a few seconds, these give a much
better internet experience without hurting the ISPs much, as this gets
averaged out over time among all their customers.

What you are trying to do, is to exploit the way these bursts are
allowed. See how the bursts are related, and you might get a better idea
about how to do this.

http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/manual/userg.htm#burst

- Sandip