On Sunday 17 Jul 2011, Sharad Birmiwal wrote:
> -- begin offtopic --
> I tried "$ /usr/lib/apt/methods/http www.yahoo.com" but that didn't
> seem to start fetching the file. As noted already, it's probably part
> of the apt family and has it's own invocation method. apt developers
> for some reason didn't want to use curl or wget. When I tested apt
> earlier in the thread, I greped for were wget and curl (in ps) before
> simply reading "ps ax". One reason for this could be that their http
> gives them feedback which allows apt to show progress.
> -- end offtopic --

Reason for the executable (note: not even a Perl script) is probably
that apt-get (dpkg?) can run on a bare system before anything else is
installed.  It has to be able to download curl/wget before using it, and
how do you download curl/wget?  You use your built-in method, aka http.

Regards,

-- Raj
--
Raj Mathur                r...@kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/