Sharad Birmiwal said on Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 10:00:20AM -0400,:

 > The reason is because apt-get invokes a program called http to
 > download packages. Here is what I tried.

While I do find the thread interesting, and commend your efforts, I
suspect this statement.

There is no program called `http' on a GNU/Linux system. What you have
is one of those confounded members of the apt, dpkg & family has what
they call 'method' to get the packages. If you configured your
sources.list to fetch from a http server, it runs 'method http"; if it
was ftp, they run 'method ftp'; and if you had specified cdrom, it
will apply the method, "cdrom".

So, if you wanted to interrupt 'fetching' from a cdrom, you would need
to look for process named 'cdrom'.

IMHO, you should raise this question in apt / dpkg developers' list. I
was about to post this yesterday, but being dad to 2 kids who do not
know that GNU/Linux is not user friendly (and hence grab the mouse and
fire off one of their favourite tuxmath / tuxpaint / tuxtype /
gcompris games) gave my session  a SIGTERM.

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||
L'homme est libre au moment qu'il veut l'etre.