On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 11:12:04AM +0530, Raju Mathur spoke out thus:
> Someday greed is going to overreach itself, and then there'll be one
> legislation which forbids some restrictions which content providers
> are laying upon their consumers.  That one legislation will act as a
> precedent for a whole slew of similar court cases and the content
> providers will end up with the short end of the stick.  </oracle>

Another possible theory is that the market might throw up a self-check
mechanism.  Firms would come up whose USP would be to treat their own
customers with respect and not treat them as cows which can be forever
milked.

A crude example could be the emergence of google in the last few
years. Before the advent of google, remember how search engines kept
getting bloater and bloater? I remember Altavista (my favorite before
google came along) cramming in ads, lots of junk content on a page
which was just expected to be a search engine. Every search engine
provider kept on putting more and more junk on the search page.

Then google came along and gave people just what they wanted - a no
nonsense search page. I am yet to see a website entry page as
to-the-point as http://www.google.com . IMHO it showed that google
understood that when people are coming to their site, they consider it
a waste of time if they spend time waiting for the page to load, and
google respected that sentiment.(I serously don't know how they make
money though.)

Seriously, google has got a huge following not only for their massive
searching capability and search intelligence, but also that they have
treated their users with far more respect than other greedy search
competitors.

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya