Bruce

I bought DA Database for my MacPlus and used it with a Juki Daisywheel which
was unbelievably cheap when we had been buying Quumes for big bucks to get
letter quality output - they were all slow comparative to dot matrix but we had
used Texas 810 with our Apple ][s for label and list printing or Quume for
letter and reports.

We ran our matching processes on an Apple ][ plus with an AppleSoft basic
programme on two floppy drives with a third drive added for WP - once we had
Wordstar and 80 column cards with Z80 and 64k Memory. Once we found VisiCalc we
used our Apples as desktops for accounts and investment appraisal as well as
Payroll with an Apples Silentype printer. VisiCalc was used by Farmers and by
major EU Taurus project to record their costs in all the currencies befor the
Eurobcould be touched but was just a way of expressing an average cost - they
needed to be able to vary exchange rates and be able to see cost instantly -
none of their computers could do that!

I recall visiting ASU and being shown their mark recording on ouches cards with
a Reader on a Terak!

“Applications” was my area of interest!

I just bought a Raspberry Pi which runs on all its apps and OS stored on a
Micro SD card of 4 GBs’ : compare that with our first 10 MB HDD on an Apple ][
- over heating, heavy and physically larger than the computer... times have
changed!

Colin Yarwood
Formerly MA FRICS ie Chartered Surveyor (in US speak Appraiser, broker,
realtor, Auctioneer etc etc) latterly Sen. Lecturer in Real Estate Management
at Nottingham Trent Uni uk

Sent from my iPhone

> On 17 Dec 2017, at 07:48, imaclist@googlegroups.com wrote:
>

> imaclist@googlegroups.com     Google Groups
> Topic digest
> View all topics
> Now this is Apple like the good old days! - 2 Updates
> Now this is Apple like the good old days!
> Kim <kimhan...@gmail.com>: Dec 16 01:29AM -0500
>
> I think I paid something like 1500 for a 24 pin wide format dot matrix
> Apple Printer to go with my Fat Mac 512. That printer would wake the dead!
> And I used to run a relational database (Reflex) that came on one
> single-sided floppy, back when people wrote tight code.
>
> On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu
>
> --
> Kim Hanson
> 203 746 8492 (home)
> 845 612 1290 (cell)
> "W.Adrian D'Alessio" <fluxstrin...@gmail.com>: Dec 16 01:58PM -0500
>
> Amigans used to marvel and trade stories about the Adobe tax on Apple
> printers.
>
> Adrian D'Alessio aka; Fluxstringer
> fluxstrin...@gmail.com
> https://vimeo.com/user31618097 <fluxstrin...@gmail.com>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/fluxstreamcommunication/
> http://www.facebook.com/FluxStringer
> https://www.youtube.com/user/fluxstringer
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/fluxstreamcommunications
>

> Back to top
> You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group.
> You can change your settings on the group membership page.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an
> email to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.