I agree, losing the ability to distinguish usernames within the http log
file was a serious loss to us. We use it to monitor compliance and
misuse of email accounts by students.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Andy Schmidt
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:04 AM
To: Imail_Forum@list.ipswitch.com
Subject: RE: [IMail Forum] IMail Statistics -> No data for Webmail
Activity?

Hi John,

Yes, I know that IIS has the HTTP logs and I can use a third party tool
to generate web statistics for the site - but that's not what we're
talking about here.

It makes no sense for CANALYZE to include reports that don't work!
Removing those reports and simply and pointing to IIS logs doesn't
address the issue, because IIS logs only log HTTP requests NOT
"application level" events.
Also, IIS doesn't track logged in users, because every IMail user
impersonates through the IIS anonymous. So - I can't possibly get a
breakdown of activity level "per user" or "per hosted domain".

Whats necessary is that their .NET code has to create IMail log files
for the application events (such as logon successes, userids, logon
failures
etc) - so that CANALYZE CAN give me a FULL reporting of the system's
activities, which complements the identical type of logging that's done
for users using IMAP4 or POP3 to fetch their mail.

Best Regards,
Andy Schmidt