Group;

In the past the "final versions" of Imail have been riddled with problems,
even after testing, release, and updates.

Additionally, there were major problems with the fact that the newer
versions, which were HTML based and required IIE to be installed on the
hosting server, required full administrative privileges to properly run.
This flies in the face of even the most basic security setup in that no
program should ever run with the software installed in such a manner that
the software has administrative, or requires administrative privileges, to
properly operate.

Finally, there were major issues with all versions of Imail running in 64
BIT operating systems.  64 bit operating systems take much more advantage of
memory utilization - allowing installation of more than 4 gig of memory, and
also allow for more efficient utilization of processors - including
off-loading of task specific operations to individual processors within the
server.

Remember, if any of us are subject to PCI [CISP] credit card processing
compliance scanning, the addition of an Imail server on which Imail is
running with full administrative privileges, to our networks may very well
cause us to be in non-compliance of the PCI requirements as every public IP
address on any network that accepts credit cards is subject to full security
scanning.  This security scanning is intensive and typically done during the
middle of the night because it can be disruptive to networks during peak
periods.  If ANY public facing IP address is found to be out of compliance,
the merchant accepting credit cards is not certified and runs the risk of
being able to accept credit card payments of any kind.

Imail products need to run under a standard IIS installation - the same way
my customer's secure websites run

Because of the above listed items; and because of the lack of support for
products released prior to this release; along with the escalating cost of
the support contracts - raising more than 500% in a single year just 3 years
ago, we opted to not renew our support contract this past year for a product
that continues not to work properly in new technology environments.

Quite simply, we made a significant investment in both Imail, operating
system software, and server equipment, and Imail will not run properly in
the 64 bit environment we chose to embrace.

I would be interested in hearing from other members of this group regarding
both IMail's pricing and support.

I would also be interested in hearing from other members of this group
regarding what server operating systems they have choosen: specifically
whether they have embraced 64 bit technology.

Additionally, I would be interested in hearing from both Imail sales and
support regarding their movement towards both a better product and better
support.

Finally, I would remind Ipswitch that small companies like us, who have the
majority of our clients in small businesses and not-for-profits, are being
squeezed significantly from the financial side.  We have lost almost 40% of
our not-for-profit clients who's budgets have shrunk by more than 75% in the
last 8 months.  Because of the financial squeeze the small businesses and
not-for-profits have dropped their web hosting, dropped their e-mail, and,
in most cases, cut their staff significantly.

I used to be an avid supporter of Ipswitch and Imail.  Now, as I keep asking
for answers I hear a deafening silence.

Ipswitch, please respond to the group.  I don't need any more marketing
schmoozing, and I don't need any more excuses.

If we, those of us who have chosen not to renew our Imail support contracts,
are to even begin to consider reinstating our support contract and moving to
Imail version 11, we need a product which will both support the 64 bit
operating systems and properly install and run without having to run under
full administrative privileges.

Bruce Barnes
ChicagoNetTech Inc
Chicago IL