here's what we do (at least what I remember, thanks to Ron H)

add a new entry under IIS on port 80 (I don't think  you can run one and do this)
on the Web site properties for the new site, click advanced
and assign the url you want to go to web mail
then in the home directory tab enter exact url redirect link to the 8383
port.

this works for us in that our folks can enter the url and get redirected to
webmail at 8383.  I don't think you can run a default web site on port 80 with this
though.

we also do this for the calendar and use the cal.domain.blah to identify IIS to
redirect to :8484

hope this helps... bob