> Just a follow-up to everyone on this anti-virus stuff.  Unfortunately, we
> got plastered this week with a virus that came in through using the #3 test
> method from testvirus.org  Needless to say, I've been on the phone so much

We made the experience, that the guys at bitdefender are quite active. We're updating the
signatures three times a day. Normaly they rollout the signatures at 1 pm. So, we're scheduled our
updates at 14:00, 18:00 and 01:00 **CET**

Actually, it isn't that easy.

What we're talking about is mailserver AV vulnerabilities, not plain old viruses. Mailserver AV vulnerabilities are exploits that typically take advantage of differences between the way that mailserver AV products process attachments versus the way that mail clients do it. That way, the mailserver AV program doesn't see an attachment that a mail client does.

This means that it is an issue of what is coded in the program (.exe file), which typically takes weeks or longer to upgrade, as opposed to simple virus definitions that take minutes/hours to upgrade. If a mailserver virus scanner lets a mailserver AV vulnerability through, then when a virus takes advantage of that vulnerability, you could receive it for weeks or longer (some people have been stuck months without certain viruses getting caught, due to vulnerabilities).

I do agree, though, that BitDefender is good at updates -- http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/columns/executive_tech/article.php/3316511 shows that they came in 2nd out of 20+ virus scanners as far as the speed of updates is concerned, which is quite impressive.

-Scott
---
Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers since 2000.
Declude Virus: Ultra reliable virus detection and the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.

---