Simon Josefsson wrote:

> Andreas Aardal Hanssen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> >>Maybe. But it is not impossible to fix RENAME in servers staying complaint
> >>with IMAP4rev1.
> >
> > Compliant is one thing, but bumping UIDVALIDITY for source and destination
> > mailboxes when renaming means that most offline clients have to re-scan
> > the folder and download headers.
> >
> > Which means that RENAME in practise will be _slower_ than
> > create, copy, delete. So why do we need RENAME?
>
> Not all clients are offline clients, so not all clients need to
> perform the re-scan.

So, if the server doesn't bump UIDVALIDITY, the disconnected client doesn't have
to rescan.

And finally, if the server doesn't support UIDPLUS, the disconnected client has
to perform rescan after COPY anyway.

> >>And I don't buy the argument that a server can't store 4bytes UIDVALIDITY
> >>somewhere when mailbox is deleted/renamed.
> >
> > Do you understand the problem with UIDVALIDITY and RENAME? Not only do you
> > have to store your 4 bytes, but you will have to store all UIDVALIDITY
> > values that any folder has had ever, after renames, forever. This is to
> > prevent the situation where the same UID/UIDVALIDITY points to two
> > different messages at two different times.
>
> Assuming the UIDVALIDITY value must grow, as the specification says, I
> guess you only have to store the highest last used one.  This seems
> like a rather trivial thing to implement, compared with all other
> complex things in IMAP.

Exactly.

> But I agree that the current situation is no good.  Either clarify the
> document, or if doesn't seem possible to do so, remove RENAME.

I agree.
I was just arguing than the first can and should be done. I know several clients
that use RENAME.

Alexey