On 6 Jun 2009, at 10:09, UNIX admin wrote:

That file is what we'd call an editable file, so
neither package should
clobber it -- instead IPS pkgs should be
self-assembling (and SVR4 pkgs
should use class action scripts).

Yes, pkgadd(1M) and prototype(4) deal with this in terms of "editable" files, and class action scripts.

But the other feature of IPS, "self assembling" - how does it work??? Does it allow for removing and inserting entries into files?

I think "self assembling" means delivering multiple files, and your software explicitly looking for all those files to configure (or whatever) itself.

For an example, consider how Apache's httpd.conf file is often configured to include other files via a glob, eg /etc/httpd/local/*.conf

Cheers,

Chris