In Mysore I have seen plenty of paraketes (rather in 100s) on this tree.  There 
are many Alstonia trees on Sayyaji Rao Road , Mysore.  One can see hundreds of 
paraketes and other birds.
Dr. Mahadeswara swamy


--- On Thu, 13/11/08, Anand Kumar Bhatt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From: Anand Kumar Bhatt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [indiantreepix:5879] Re: Query on Alstonia scholaris (Devil's tree)
> To: "Sanjeev Saikia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: [email protected]
> Date: Thursday, 13 November, 2008, 8:05 PM
> I have also heard that this tree is not bird friendly and
> the birds do not
> like to roost, perch or nest on it. When I asked somebody
> who has a number
> of Alstonia trees at his workplace, he could not give a
> clear reply. I don't
> blame him. He is neither a tree lover not a birder.
> akbhatt
> 
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Sanjeev Saikia
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
> 
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an Alstonia scholaris in front of my house. Out
> of curiosity I
> > wanted to know if someone has any idea what the
> cultural roots of the
> > Alstonia scholaris tree being called 'Devil's
> tree' is? It is also called a
> > Yakshi tree etc. why so much association with the
> supernatural? Any
> > information on this? I know it is also called the
> scholar's tree because its
> > wood is used to make scholarly furniture like reading
> tables etc.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Sanjeev
> >
> > ------------------------------
> > Get 5 GB of storage with Windows Live Hotmail. Sign up
> today.<http://windowslive.com/Explore/Hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_5gb_112008>
> > >
> >
> 
> 
> -- 
> Anand Kumar Bhatt
> A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
> Gwalior. 474 005.
> Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
> 
> 

      Get your own website and domain for just Rs.1,999/year.* Go to 
http://in.business.yahoo.com


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"indiantreepix" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to