Hi
According to the legend i was told Alstonia is supposed to be a
straight trunk tree hence only the Devil can reach its highest branch
hence it is called Devil's Tree.
On Nov 16, 10:01 am, Sanjeev Saikia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear Mr. Bhatt,
>
> Thank you so much for your email. As I had written before I have an alstonia
> scholaris right in front of my house, and I have seen birds on it often.
> Regarding roosting, I think on some evening I have heard activity of birds
> settling down in it.
>
> I have observed many birds species in the branches of this tree, sunbirds,
> oriental whiteeyes, red vented bulbuls, sparrows, collared doves and others...
>
> Now, I will observe carefully whether birds roost in it or not... an
> interesting project for me thanks to you.
>
> Warm regards,
>
> Sanjeev Saikia
>
> Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 20:05:49 +0530From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL
> PROTECTED]: [indiantreepix:5879] Re: Query on Alstonia scholaris (Devil's
> tree)CC: [email protected]
> I have also heard that this tree is not bird friendly and the birds do not
> like to roost, perch or nest on it. When I asked somebody who has a number of
> Alstonia trees at his workplace, he could not give a clear reply. I don't
> blame him. He is neither a tree lover not a birder.
> akbhatt
>
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Sanjeev Saikia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Hi, I have an Alstonia scholaris in front of my house. Out of curiosity I
> wanted to know if someone has any idea what the cultural roots of the
> Alstonia scholaris tree being called 'Devil's tree' is? It is also called a
> Yakshi tree etc. why so much association with the supernatural? Any
> information on this? I know it is also called the scholar's tree because its
> wood is used to make scholarly furniture like reading tables etc. Regards,
> Sanjeev
>
> Get 5 GB of storage with Windows Live Hotmail. Sign up
> today.<br_________________________________________________________________
> Windows Live Hotmail now works up to 70%
> faster.http://windowslive.com/Explore/Hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_...
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"indiantreepix" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---