      From: Saroj Kasaju <kasajusa...@gmail.com>
 To: J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com>
Cc: efloraofindia <indiantreepix@googlegroups.com>; C CHADWELL
<chrischadwell...@btinternet.com>
 Sent: Thursday, 13 October 2016, 18:45
 Subject: Re: Clematis buchananiana DC.

Need Expert help!
On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 4:44 PM, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: chrischadwell261@btinternet. com <chrischadwell261@btinternet. com>
Date: 13 October 2016 at 16:25
To: efloraofindia <indiantreepix@googlegroups. com>
Cc: jmga...@gmail.com

Sorry this is not C.buchananiana but Clematis connata.  Probably C.connata var.
pseudoconnata (which some recognise at a higher rank) but one cannot see the
base of the petioles, which are likely to be dilated and connate forming
disc-like structures.   Some are very large/pronounced. The line drawing in
eflora of Pakistan does not show this feature.  Always helpful to be able to
view both upper and lower surface of leaves.
These two species are often mixed-up but C.connata has glabrous foliage whilst
C.buchananiana is often markedly hairy (esp. on undersides of leaves).
'Flora of Kathmandu Valley' says occurs in dry areas from 1600-2600m for
C.buchananiana; 2400-2700m for C.connata.  They describe flowers of latter as
"golden-brown", which is questionable - perhaps a specimen which had gone over?
I consider +/- all the images identified as C.buchananiana, see:
https://sites.google.com/ site/efloraofindia/species/m--
-z/r/ranunculaceae/clematis/cl ematis-buchananiana  in fact come within
Clematis connata
Important to check for presence of disc-like structures on future occasions
(these will vary in prominence).  Often 'glabrous' does not mean entirely
without hairs.  Typical C.buchananiana is decidedly hairy.
I saw what I understand to be genuine C.buchananiana beyond Naini Tal some
years back but do not have any images to share.  Collet said C.buchananiana was
common at Shimla but it seems nobody has photographed the genuine species and
sent images to efloraofIndia.
Cannot find many reliable images of C.buchananiana on internet - a number have
been misidentified.  See: https://www.google.co.uk/searc
h?q=%22Clematis+buchananiana% 22&tbm=isch&gws_rd=ssl#gws_rd=
ssl&imgrc=xGyWRRGO0HaS0M%3A
If you take a look at the pressed specimens collected by Blinkworth in Kumaon
see: http://apps.kew.org/herbcat/ge tImage.do?imageBarcode=K001039 669 and by
Wallich (or for Wallich - as many of his specimens were gathered on his behalf)
see: http://apps.kew.org/herbcat/ge tImage.do?imageBarcode=K001039 670 you will
be convinced of the markedly different foliage cf. C.connata and lack of
'connate' petiole bases.
There will be variants that have less 'softly hairy' undersides to the leaves.
I have checked the images for C.connata  and these look OK (though the image by
Rajesh in VOF has unusual foliage (more images of all the features would be
helpful to check its identity further) to me with the 'connate' feature being
drawn attention to.  See: https://sites.google.com/site/
efloraofindia/species/m---z/r/ ranunculaceae/clematis/clemati s-connata
Those who live/visit suitable places, should keep a look out in forests &
shrubberies @ 1800-3000m.  Stewart found C.connata to be common in Kashmir and
N.Pakistan @ 1500-2700m.  C.buchananiana he only recorded from Kashmir at
Tangmarg and Banihal Valley plus Verinag (though 2 of these records were 19th
Century).
All the evidence suggests C.connata is common in the NW Himalaya,
C.buchananiana less so.