Respected Sir I am sorry but I didnt mean that my work is dependent on the books gifted by others. Neither am I comparing our governments. And my response was in the form of the attached image for Usha mam (four volumes of Flora of Hong Kong) who asked if there is something modern. But if a government agency gifts you a book published by the government, then it comes as a kind of recognition and acknowledgment of your work. What I got from HK government was the recognition of my work. I do get lot of book gifts from all over the world and of course I gift to people too when I feel like. I also used to send DVDs and CDs with floristic documents to the members of this group while I was in India, every one knows. I also (100%) agree that most of the publications by government agencies are cheap and thats a good thing, afterall those government agencies work on Indian Tax payers money if I am correct. Secondly, you said about good libraries. May I know how easy it is to visit a BSI library (I am not sure but this question is based on assumption that you are from BSI, otherwise no need to answer)? I do have many very good friends still at BSI. Thirdly I have one last question. During 1870 - 1890 one person wrote a book on Flora of British India in 6 volumes, each volume over 700 pages of species description (original plus his own). Why no one else could write till now? Just for info of all the members that there is a full set of flora of China available in Chinese and English, with all latin names and their chinese names (even chinese names are unique). All their herbarium collections are digitised (each and every herbaria at any given university) and available online. I am sure you cant compare India and HK but surely you can compare China and India. My intention is not to express my grudge against anyone, but to express that it feels good to be recognized. It gives encouragement to work harder and do better for science. Thanks and regards Pankaj
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 at 16:16, Tapas Chakrabarty <[email protected]> wrote: > Thank you Usha di and Pankaj ji, > It is not "strange" for me that no Govt. gave or gifted me any book in 40 > years of my research career! I never expected that I will carry out > research on gifted books. Good libraries are there for this purpose which > allow free consultation of book and journals. Some authors give > complimentary copies on request or now a days send PFD of publications. > Govt. Organizations in India publish books and journals on no profit no > loss basis and they are very cheap as such. > I myself sent PDF of Flora of India, Volume 23 to many persons free of > cost. > Hence please do not feel this way that you did not get any book in India > as gift in 10 years. Hongkong is a small place and their Govt should not be > compare with our Govt. > > On Wed, Sep 12, 2018, 13:14 Ushadi Micromini <[email protected]> > wrote: > >> Tapasda >> yes Thank you for sharing the list >> and often BHL / they dont let me download a book pdf >> >> I find there are many other sources for these old books >> i generally find them >> >> but old lists and descriptions are just that >> >> = >> usha di >> >> >> >> >> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 2:58 AM, Tapas Chakrabarty <[email protected]> >> wrote: >> >>> Literature available in BHL are mostly classical publications and many >>> are written in Latin but that is the foundation of the modern plant >>> taxonomy; plant identification is only a part of the subject. It was very >>> difficult to obtain classical literature prior to BHL and Botanicus era. >>> >>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018, 01:37 Ushadi Micromini <[email protected]> >>> wrote: >>> >>>> Pankaj >>>> "There are proper books " >>>> any modern ones??? >>>> >>>> the flora in bhl site is from 1800s >>>> >>>> usha di >>>> >>>> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 11:12 PM, Saroj Kasaju <[email protected]> >>>> wrote: >>>> >>>>> Pavetta hongkongensis Bremek. >>>>> >>>>> Thank you Pankaj ! >>>>> >>>>> Saroj Kasaju >>>>> >>>>> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 8:43 AM, J.M. Garg <[email protected]> wrote: >>>>> >>>>>> Thanks, Pankaj ji >>>>>> >>>>>> On Tue 11 Sep, 2018, 8:18 AM Pankaj Kumar, <[email protected]> >>>>>> wrote: >>>>>> >>>>>>> No I have not. Yes I know the orchids well though but other plants I >>>>>>> need to check the keys. Hong Kong has very well documented flora and >>>>>>> fauna >>>>>>> because it is a very small place. There are proper books and online >>>>>>> materials to check. >>>>>>> >>>>>>> On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 at 10:22, J.M. Garg <[email protected]> wrote: >>>>>>> >>>>>>>> Thanks, Pankaj ji. >>>>>>>> You have great knowledge of Flora of Hong Kong. >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> On Tue 11 Sep, 2018, 6:12 AM Pankaj Kumar, <[email protected]> >>>>>>>> wrote: >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> This looks like Pavetta hongkongensis. >>>>>>>>> Thanks for sharing. >>>>>>>>> Pankaj >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 at 21:54, Saroj Kasaju <[email protected]> >>>>>>>>> wrote: >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> Dear Members, >>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> Location: Victoria Peak, Hong Kong >>>>>>>>>> Date: 12 August 2018 >>>>>>>>>> Elevation: 1300 ft. >>>>>>>>>> Habit : Wild >>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> Thank you. >>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> Saroj Kasaju >>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> -- >>>>>>>>> ****************************************************** >>>>>>>>> **************************************************************** >>>>>>>>> *Pankaj Kumar*, Ph.D. >>>>>>>>> *IUCN-SSC Orchid Specialist Group Asia* >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> *Office*: >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> Orchid Conservation Section >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> Flora Conservation Department >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) Corporation >>>>>>>>> Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong S.A.R., China >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> *email*: [email protected]; [email protected] >>>>>>>>> *Phone*: +852 2483 7128 (office - 8:30am to 5:00pm); +852 9436 >>>>>>>>> 6251 (mobile); *Fax*: +852 2483 7194 >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> -- >>>>>>> ****************************************************** >>>>>>> **************************************************************** >>>>>>> *Pankaj Kumar*, Ph.D. >>>>>>> *IUCN-SSC Orchid Specialist Group Asia* >>>>>>> >>>>>>> *Office*: >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Orchid Conservation Section >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Flora Conservation Department >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) Corporation >>>>>>> Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong S.A.R., China >>>>>>> >>>>>>> *email*: [email protected]; [email protected] >>>>>>> *Phone*: +852 2483 7128 (office - 8:30am to 5:00pm); +852 9436 6251 >>>>>>> (mobile); *Fax*: +852 2483 7194 >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>> -- >>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>>>> Groups "efloraofindia" group. >>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >>>>> an email to [email protected]. >>>>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. >>>>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix. >>>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >>>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> -- >>>> Usha di >>>> =========== >>>> >>>> -- >>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>>> Groups "efloraofindia" group. >>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >>>> an email to [email protected]. >>>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. >>>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix. >>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >>>> >>> >> >> >> -- >> Usha di >> =========== >> > -- ****************************************************** **************************************************************** *Pankaj Kumar*, Ph.D. *IUCN-SSC Orchid Specialist Group Asia* *Office*: Orchid Conservation Section Flora Conservation Department Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) Corporation Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong S.A.R., China *email*: [email protected]; [email protected] *Phone*: +852 2483 7128 (office - 8:30am to 5:00pm); +852 9436 6251 (mobile); *Fax*: +852 2483 7194 -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "efloraofindia" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. To post to this group, send an email to [email protected]. Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

