If you let them come and go on their own it wont be a problem. Just
try not to pull them away from your body. It leaves its suckers behind
which may cause infection. Make long socks of jeans clothes and wear
it inside your show. Leeches cant cross these. They can cross pores of
normal socks very easily.
Pankaj

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You are reminding us of some thing we almost forgot. In our trip to Chakrata
> in September on first day of our outing, when we stopped for lunch, Nidhan
> ji and Balkar ji found blood spots and remnants of leeches on their feet
> when they opened their shoes. My wife was worried and asked me to open my
> shoes. There were three spots on one sock and two on another, and when I
> opened the socks atleast 5-6 had sucked my blood. Next day Balkar ji and
> Nidhan ji prepared themselves in army way, tying socks over their shoes with
> tightly running laces, but in the afternoon they were the attacked the most.
> After than we took care not to stand long in a marshy place, but there were
> occasional leech suckings.
>     Shikant ji who had seen the worst of leeches in Western Ghats was always
> there to reassure us and not to worry about these small leeches.
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Madhuri Raut <itii...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you Pankaj ji and Satish ji. I have had a dreadful experience of
>> Plasmodium falciparum malaria in the past. I only would say please take
>> care.
>> Regards
>> Bhagyashri
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Madhuri ji
>>> These are side effects of some good sightings in Nature.
>>> Had been to Mahabaleshwar on 1st Oct 2011 with Shrikant ji in wild in
>>> search of some epiphytic orchids. We could find Dendrobium mabelae and
>>> Oberonia recurva and few other plants other than orchids. On returnig home I
>>> happened to notice some Tick bites on my legs.They are worse than mosquito
>>> bites One of the wound is still healing; but the joy of catching a good
>>> orchid is much more than that.......

>>> --
>>> Dr Satish Phadke

"Taxonomists getting Extinct and Species Data Deficient !!"

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Conservation Officer

Office:
Flora Conservation Department
Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) Corporation
Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

Residence:
36c, Ng Tung Chai, Lam Tseun
Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

email: pku...@kbfg.org
          sahanipan...@gmail.com
          pankajsah...@rediffmail.com
Phone: +852 2483 7128 (office - 8:30am to 5:30pm)
           +852 9436 6251 (mobile)