> Is it better to store the whole set in one series(measurement) and add
tags to them so they can be filtered later, or store each measurement in
its own series and simply add a tag that defines the protocol?

Series belong to measurements in InfluxDB jargon, not the other way around.
Rewording this to be consistent with terminology (I think):

> Is it better to store every series in one measurement using tags, or
store each set of metrics in its own measurement and simply add a tag that
defines the protocol?

In general more tags per measurement and fewer measurements overall is
preferred to more measurements with fewer tags each. I would recommend
having log and protocol as tags on a single measurement.

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 8:42 AM, Felix Horvat <fhorva...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for the generic title, i didn't manage to find a descriptive name.
> We have logs with sensor data we want to push to influx db. Each of these
> logs is acquired using a specific protocol. This defines how the data is do
> be acquired, thus what has to be done while the data is being acquired.
> So we end up with sets of logs where each set contains data for a specific
> "protocol".
> Each log might contain more then 1 million datapoints. The timestamps of
> these logs might overlap, so that for a given time interval there might be
> more then one valid log. Also we might have thousands of logs.
>
> The question is now: What structure is best practice for storing this kind
> of data in influxdb?
> Is it better to store the whole set in one series(measurement) and add
> tags to them so they can be filtered later, or store each measurement in
> its own series and simply add a tag that defines the protocol?
>

> --
> Remember to include the InfluxDB version number with all issue reports
> msgid/influxdb/690a5ab6-8754-4561-9126-b0773510f0cb%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/influxdb/690a5ab6-8754-4561-9126-b0773510f0cb%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Sean Beckett
Director of Support and Professional Services
InfluxDB

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/influxdb/CALGqCvOmtWXx0keyiwmpRCbFQf3VPcXRqS-bZy8zu0Ov0b0Ejw%40mail.gmail.com.