Thanks for the quick answer and the clarification!

*>In general more tags per measurement and fewer measurements overall is
preferred to more measurements with fewer tags each. I would recommend
having log and protocol as tags on a single measurement.*

Great, that's what i assumed as well. So we use one measurement name per
protocol (as they might require different sensors) and just tag each series
with a uid.

*>Series belong to measurements in InfluxDB jargon, not the other way
around. ...*

I got i bit confused with the terminology, as in the query results what i
assumed to be measurements, are returned as part of the series key
https://docs.influxdata.com/influxdb/v1.0/guides/querying_data/

But now that you spelled it out its clear to me as well: A series is always
a part of the measurement, but never the other way around. So queries
return series and not measurements, as this is the only way to have a
consistently named field, if one may query for a subset of a measurement.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/influxdb/c2f1d799-11ae-40b0-902d-80fb1022c12d%40googlegroups.com.