Saša writes:

> a...@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:
>
>> I use nnml for everything, works fine for me.
>
> I put the following in gnus-secondary-select-methods:
>
> (nnml "archive"
>                 (nnml-directory "~/emacs/gnus/archive")
>                 (nnml-active-file "~/emacs/gnus/archive/active")
>                 (nnml-get-new-mail nil)
>                 (nnir-search-engine notmuch)
>              )
>           )
>
> but wonder how to initialize it, iow. I created ~/emacs/gnus/archive
> and would like to put my messages sorted by year like: archive/2015,
> archive/2016 etc. but not sure how to init the setup so I can start
> mv-ing msgs there?

Start moving the articles in Gnus?

'B m' on the article and then enter the name of the group, something
like, say, 'nnml+archive:2015' - if I understand what you want
correctly.

(You shouldn't move files around behind Gnus' back, when using nnml.)

Maybe I don't understand your question?

For reference, my configuration looks like this:

  (setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml "archive"
                                           (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive")
                                           (nnml-active-file
"~/Mail/archive/active")
                                           (nnml-get-new-mail nil)
                                           (nnir-search-engine notmuch)
                                           (nnml-inhibit-expiry t)))

  (setq gnus-message-archive-group
        '((if (message-news-p)
              (concat "news-" (format-time-string "%Y"))
            (concat "mail-" (format-time-string "%Y")))))

to get groups named 'nnml+archive:mail-2016' etc.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Tom has put all my music into this rectangle."              Adam Sjøgren
                                                         a...@koldfront.dk