----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Touch" <to...@isi.edu>
To: "Templin, Fred L" <fred.l.temp...@boeing.com>; "Linda Dunbar"
<linda.dun...@huawei.com>; <towns...@cisco.com>
Cc: <int-area@ietf.org>
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2016 4:00 PM

> Hi, Fred,

> On 10/7/2016 7:43 AM, Templin, Fred L wrote:
> >
> > Joe’s analogy of ATM AAL5 is also exactly correct. And, as Joe says,
> > the cell
> >
> > size does not matter *as long as the cell size can traverse the
tunnel
> > without
> >
> > loss due to a size restriction*. That is why the nominal cell size
> > should be no
> >
> > larger than 1280B (minimum IPv6 link MTU) unless there is assurance
that

> > larger cell sizes can be used.
> >
> The link (or tunnel) *payload* size needs to be at least 1280B unless
> larger sizes can be used.
>
> And (I know you know, but for others) that's why there needs to be
> ingress/egress fragmentation and reassembly to ensure that when the
> payload is smaller, the edge-to-edge transit payload size meets these
> minimums.
>
> All of this is in the doc already; if it's not clear from the doc, I
> would welcome suggestions on what to add.

Joe

I find paragraphs such as

"   Fragmentation is critical tunnels that support TTP packets for
   protocols with minimum MTU requirements, while operating over tunnel
   paths using protocols with minimum MTU requirements. Depending on the
   amount of space used by encapsulation, these two minimums will
   ultimately interfere, and the TTP will need to be fragmented to both
   support a TTP minimum MTU while traversing tunnels with their own TLP
   minimum MTUs."

rather hard to follow (I am a native English speaker with some years of
experience with IPv4)

Tom Petch