Hi Joe,

RFC6706 discusses security considerations that apply to any link type that
redirection can be used on - and, not just NBMA tunnel links. This is over
and above what RFC4861 discusses in terms of Redirection security, so
RFC6706 indicates methods for improving security.

> >> - multiple link addresses are already part of the Ethernet spec and
> >> already handled by most IP over Ethernet implementations (and TOS
> >> marking correlation is defined in 802.1p).
> > I'd like to see what you are talking about so I can compare it to what
> > AERO is doing.
> See below...
> >
> >> When you assign more than
> >> one link address to a single physical interface, you're acting as if you
> >> have multiple links.
> > No, you are acting as if there are multiple link-layer addresses on the
> > same link.
> >
> >> At that point, the forwarding table indicates not
> >> only the next-hop IP but the outgoing link -- for multiple link
> >> addresses these are treated as different virtual interfaces already.
> > Going with what I just said above, the forwarding table indicates only
> > the next-hop IP. It is the neighbor cache entry for the next-hop IP
> > that includes the multiple link-layer addresses. But, it is all one link.
> It acts exactly like one NMBA link on which your endpoint has multiple
> virtual interfaces.

This is from RFC4861:

     Inbound load balancing - Nodes with replicated interfaces may want
           to load balance the reception of incoming packets across
           multiple network interfaces on the same link.  Such nodes
           have multiple link-layer addresses assigned to the same
           interface.  For example, a single network driver could
           represent multiple network interface cards as a single
           logical interface having multiple link-layer addresses.

AERO is not talking about inbound load balancing, but it is talking about
a single logical interface having multiple link-layer addresses in exactly
the same spirit as implied by this text. But, by allowing multiple S/TLLAOs
on IPv6 ND messages, AERO nodes can tell their neighbors about their
multiple link-layer address and how they prefer to have those link-layer
addresses used for inbound traffic.

> >> - I agree that IPv6 ND was done in an INTAREA WG; the same might be true
> >> for AERO, but the INTAREA WG should be a place where generic aspects of
> >> all Internet layer issues should be addressed, not domain-specific
> >> solutions (IMO).
> >>
> >> AERO might be one doc, but it is 60+ pages with over 70 revisions. I don't
> >> think it would be useful to bog down INTAREA with
> >> something that large.
> > The document size and number of revisions are irrelevant. By making it
> > an intarea doc, it would revert back to a -00.
>
> That helps only the number of revisions issue; the point is that the
> work associated with this doc involves substantial effort for review.

RFC6706 was 33pages long, but was reviewed and approved in a relatively
short time and without going through a working group formation. Is there
some kind of page count cutoff I am not aware of?

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.temp...@boeing.com