Hi,

as promised in v6ops, I will suggest text. The current -01 text is:

7.2.  For Network Operators

   As per RFC 4890, network operators MUST NOT filter ICMPv6 PTB
   messages unless they are known to be forged or otherwise
   illegitimate.  As stated in Section 4.5, filtering ICMPv6 PTB packets
   causes PMTUD to fail.  Many upper-layer protocols rely on PMTUD.

So perhaps text along these lines:

--
As per RFC 4890, network operators MUST NOT filter ICMPv6 PTB messages unless they are known to be forged or otherwise illegitimate. As stated in Section 4.5, filtering ICMPv6 PTB packets causes PMTUD to fail. Operators MUST ensure proper PMTUD operation in their network, including making sure the network generates PTB packets when dropping packets too large compared to outgoing interface MTU.

Many upper-layer protocols rely on PMTUD.
--

I have also encountered lots of people who think that as long as they do MSS capping, they don't have to worry about anything. Should we include text on their behalf?

Another thing, I would like to see text somewhere (perhaps 7.1) that states that protocols/applications should do PLMTUD. I would like to see TCP having this default on in all operating systems.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se