On Thursday, May 4, 2017 7:46:34 PM PDT Dmitry Rogozhkin wrote:

> On 5/4/2017 9:51 AM, Kenneth Graunke wrote:
> > MediaSDK is not a benchmark.  If I'm not mistaken, it's a userspace
> > driver produced by Intel engineers, one which Intel has the full
> > capability to change.  What you're saying is that Intel's MediaSDK
> > engineers are unwilling to change their software to provide better
> > performance for their Linux users.
> >
> > That's pretty mental.
> You are mistaken. Media SDK is not a driver. It is a user space library
> which talks to the user space driver. And Media SDK does not set _any_
> caching policies you are discussing here. That's the driver who sets
> these policies. I don't want to go further here who supports this
> driver, Intel or not, but there are mediasdk engineers whom you blame to
> not willing to do something and who actually only indirectly are related
> to this topic. Please, if you mean driver, say a driver.

Sorry, that's my mistake - and I think a number of other people in the
thread were similarly confused.  So, the suggestion isn't to change
MediaSDK at all - it's to change the closed-source libva driver that's
setting MOCS values that aren't supported by the upstream kernel.  IIRC
the upstream libva-intel-driver does not have this bug.

My point largely stands, when redirected - someone is developing a
broken closed source userspace driver and is apparently unwilling to
change it.  That's the real problem.