On Fri, 02 Feb 2018, Chris Wilson <ch...@chris-wilson.co.uk> wrote:
> Quoting Jani Nikula (2018-02-02 20:01:00)
>> The PCH type is an unnecessary level of abstraction that's an extra
>> maintenance burden. Switch to using PCH ids directly. This also
>> simplifies the virtual PCH detection.
>
> But you are still using the PCH type, just computing it from the id
> inside the conditionals. Not sure if that's a good idea, remember the
> long chains of devid == X || devid == Y || ... we used to have?

I've forgotten, maybe I didn't learn from history... but you're right
I'm still using the "pch type". But the current code is using the devids
in addition to the types too.

> I guess a convincing argument that the abstraction is ill-conceived
> would be when it bloats the code, as that shows the abstraction's
> semantics do not match and are a hindrance to use. Maybe there's another
> transformation that improves usage?

To be honest, I wasn't happy with the end result either, but decided to
post the patches as RFC as I had them written, to provoke discussion.

BR,
Jani.