On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 12:48:04PM +0100, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 06:38:44AM +0100, Lukas Wunner wrote:

> > > /me should be more careful what he says
> > >
> > > Given where we are in the release cycle, it's barely a fast track.
> > > If these go in -fixes, they'll get in -rc2 and will have plenty of
> > > time to bake. If we were at rc5, it might be a different story.
> >
> > The patches are marked for stable though, so if they go in through
> > drm-misc-fixes, they may appear in stable kernels before 4.16-final
> > is out.  Greg picks up patches once they're in Linus' tree, though
> > often with a delay of a few days or weeks.  If they go in through
> > drm-misc-next, they're guaranteed not to appear in *any* release
> > before 4.16-final is out.
> >
> > This allows for differentiation between no-brainer stable fixes that
> > can be sent immediately and scarier, but similarly important stable
> > fixes that should soak for a while.  I'm not sure which category
> > this series belongs to, though it's true what Maarten says, it's
> > not *that* grave a change.
>
> If you're this concerned about them, then pls do _not_ put cc: stable on
> the patches. Instead get them merged through -fixes (or maybe even -next),
> and once they're sufficiently tested, send a mail to stable@ asking for
> ane explicit backport.

I'm not concerned about them, but would have erred on the side of caution.
However consensus seems to have been that they're sufficiently unscary to
push to -fixes.  Do you disagree with that decision, if so, why?  Can we
amend the dim docs to codify guidelines whether to push to -fixes or -next?
I allowed 1 week for comments, now you're returning from vacation and seem
to be unhappy, was 1 week too short?

Thanks,

Lukas