Hey Mark,

Dude... DUDE... Skip the mothballs. Naphtha will eventually screw up your engine.

Try adding 1-2 more oz of acetone per 10 gallons. The sweet spot seems to be 3 oz, some people do better w/a little more or less.

Also try 7-10 ounces of toluene or xylene and advancing the timing (toluene is used commercially as an octane booster, xylene is very similar, and both are 50-75% cheaper if you add them in yourself as opposed to paying for the 'pre-blended' mix at the pump).

Try the Mobil 15k synthetic oil. You change it less and it costs the same as running cheapo oil.
Add 4 oz of Torco MZP engine assembly lube to your gearbox.

Also, try a chin spoiler.  This will block air from your undercarriage.

Do all that and you'll probably have a 33MPG 59 Edsel.

Dave

PS running your truck with the tailgate down degrades MPGs. Running a tonneau cover (even a 1/2 cover from the cab back) increases MPGs.

Phillip Mark wrote:
Million$ for mothballs... nice! Capitalism rocks! Speaking of mothballs, I've been putting 4 mothballs per gallon of gas into my gas tank for the last 3 or 4 months and have increased my gas mileage dramatically. My car is a 1959 Edsel, 6 cylinder, 3 speed manual transmission with a 223 engine. The owners manual states that I should be getting 14 miles to the gallon. I get 28 MPG. Doubled the mileage! I also have done the following modifications: Increase the tire pressure to 40 psi (ever try to ride a bike with a flat or soft tires? The rolling resistance is decreased with increased pressure.), I put 1oz. of acetone per 10 gallons of gas (acetone weakens the surface tension of the gasoline which makes vaporization of the fuel easier), I preheat the fuel with the hot water available from the engine (I have a temperature gauge monitor attached and my fuel enters the carb at about 155 degrees F.), I preheat the air going into the air filter, again with the hot water from the engine (the air temp is raised to 135 degrees F, per a second monitor), I run a 'bubbler', tapping off the vacuum from the intake manifold and pulling the air through a water tank (this adds water vapor to the air... with the theory that the small amounts of water vapor turns to steam in the piston which aids in full combustion), I have a funnel of sorts that forces air from the front of the engine to the carb (this is fairly common in newer cars), I have several strong magnets attached to the metal fuel line just before the carb (magnets seem to increase the ability of gas to vaporize but not to any great extent. However, every little bit helps!), I keep my car waxed and clean to reduce drag (my car is NOT streamlined but again, the little bits help), Finally, I do all the usual tips. I coast wherever possible. I watch traffic patterns so to avoid stopping at lights. I keep my top speed at about 50 mph. I drive behind large vehicles to reduce wind drag. I don't use 'slippery' oil additives or synthetic oil (my engine is too old) but I do change it regularly. Synthetic oil does increase mileage but it's also pricey... sort of an even trade off. I did build a small electrolysis tank and ran the Brown's gas for an hour into the air intake but my tank leaked. I'll revamp the design and try again (I'll post my findings at that point). Detroit and the gas companies has no reason to promote these ideas but everything I've done you can find in a search engine. If we all do a few little modifications (such as keeping the tail gate down on your pick-up truck and you increase mpg by 20 percent!) we can make a huge difference! phillip mark, florida 10/02/06