> Please note that you can choose to use a different source character set, but
> since Qt 5.0, the 8-bit strings passed to QString must be UTF-8. This is not
> configurable any more, like it used to be.
yes, i'm not constructing any QStrings using the file encoding. all my strings
are handled internally (converted from MacRoman to utf16), and only sent to
QString when i need that at the very edge of a GUI API.  at that time they are
converted from my internal rep (utf16) to utf8, then to QString

> Moreover, since 6.0, the locale character set on Unix systems
this is a windows system

-dave