On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 2:44 PM Marco Pivetta <ocram...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 2:38 PM Sara Golemon <poll...@php.net> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for picking it up, and I agree with your response to Larry.  As
>> nice
>> as it would be to lazy iterate, the scanner is just in NO shape to
>> tolerate
>> reentering userspace and potentially reinvoking the scanner before the
>> first run through is done.
>>

> If this is the current state, maybe it would suffice to declare the return
> type as `iterable`, and return a strict (fully populated) structure in a
> first implementation, later to be changed to an iterator, if applicable?
>
> Marco Pivetta

The fact that it returns an array is an important part of the contract. If
an iterator variant is added in the future, it should be added as a
separate method.

I don't want to be writing

$tokens = PhpToken::getAll($code);
if (!is_array($tokens)) {
    $tokens = iterator_to_array($tokens);
}

to convert this to the right type. And I also don't want my usage to be
implicitly "upgraded" to an iterator in the future: The iterator will
always be less efficient, and I don't want to be forced to use it if I need
an array anyway.

Nikita