On Tue, Feb 25, 2020, at 9:59 AM, Nikita Popov wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 10:47 AM Nikita Popov <nikita....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi internals,
> >
> > This has been discussed a while ago already, now as a proper proposal:
> > https://wiki.php.net/rfc/token_as_object
> >
> > tl;dr is that it allows you to get token_get_all() output as an array of
> > PhpToken objects. This reduces memory usage, improves performance, makes
> > code more uniform and readable... What's not to like?
> >
> > An open question is whether (at least to start with) PhpToken should be
> > just a data container, or whether we want to add some helper methods to it.
> > If this generates too much bikeshed, I'll drop methods from the proposal.
> >

> I think this proposal is in a pretty decent shape now, and I'd like to move
> it to voting soon. The only remaining open question is whether we want to
> add any additional predefined methods. As the class can now be extended,
> every library can add their own methods, but there might still be value in
> providing some things by default, primarily for performance reason. For
> example, the proposed is() method can be a good bit more efficient when
> implemented directly in extension code.
>
> Any feedback on this point?
>
> Nikita

Seems good to me in its current state.

One last thought I had: in its current form, it *seems* like it would be
possible, in concept, to create tokens directly via the constructor (ignoring
the positional values), then have a generic render command you can apply to a
list of them to use for code generation.  I know that's not the intent here,
but in concept is what I described possible?

--Larry Garfield