On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 8:48 PM Tobias Nyholm <tobias.nyh...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey.
> I would like to get karma to be able to vote on RFCs. I understand that
> voting karma isn’t usually given out to people who write their first
> mailing list entry.
>
> But I do believe I qualify as “Lead developers of PHP based projects
> (frameworks, cms, tools, etc.)”
>
> For those of you who don’t know me, I’ve been working with open source PHP
> projects since 2015. I am part of Symfony core team, I wrote PSR-18 and was
> part of the working group for PSR-17. I also maintain Guzzle,
> webmozart/assert, Flysystem, HTTPlug and the php-http ecosystem and about
> 50 other packages with more than 100.000 monthly downloads.
>
> I think I am the most downloaded PHP maintainer.
>
> I have been following the RFCs more closely the past 2 years and I’ve
> finally gathered some courage to ask for karma. There has not been many
> (maybe just one or two) RFCs where I wished the vote turned out the other
> way. So, I don’t think I would have any radical opinions about future RFCs.
>
> If I’ve understad the process correctly, I do need someone with a php.net
> VCS account to sponsor me.
>
> My username is: nyholm
>
> Regards
> Tobias Nyholm

Hey Tobias,

My response here is basically the same as the last time the topic came up:
https://externals.io/message/110936#110937 Voting is just the very last
step of the RFC process, at which point the proposal can no longer be
influenced. If you have feedback about a proposal based on your extensive
experience in PHP's open source ecosystem, then the discussion phase is the
time to provide it, while it can still influence the proposal, as well as
other people's view of the proposal.

At least in my personal opinion, I think it's important that people granted
voting rights as community representatives have at least some historical
involvement in RFC discussions.

Regards,
Nikita