On Fri, 3 Sept 2021 at 18:41, Go Kudo <zeriyo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nikita wrote:
>> this one also moves all of the existing RNG-related functionality
>> from ext/standard to ext/random.
>
> There are several reasons for this.
>
> - The `random` extension name is already used by ext/standard and may
> interfere with the build system.
> - Due to the namespace rules for new extensions, it is inappropriate to
> rename an extension.
> - Due to history, the rand / mt_rand dependency is tricky and I thought it
> was time to sort it out.
> - I don't think it's a good idea to have multiple header files for a single
> domain feature.

Have you considered how much work that is going to incur on downstream
projects?

If there's a good reason for moving stuff around then it can be
appropriate, but the RFC phrasing of:  "At the same time, the
following internal APIs will also be relocated. If you want to use
them, you can _simply_ include ext/random/random.h." sounds pretty
dismissive of causing possibly unneeded work for downstream projects.

cheers
Dan
Ack