On Wed, Mar 1, 2023, 12:02 PM Michał Marcin Brzuchalski <
michal.brzuchal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Deleu,
>
> śr., 1 mar 2023 o 16:54 Deleu <deleu...@gmail.com> napisał(a):
>

>> On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 9:36 AM Michał Marcin Brzuchalski <
>> michal.brzuchal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Do we really need this in core? What makes it less usable as an
>>> extension?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Michał Marcin Brzuchalski
>>>

>> Extensions are not easy to install and have a complex distribution system
>> that differs greatly between Windows, Debian, Ubuntu, Alpine Linux, AWS
>> Lambda, etc. I wish one day we could have something as simple and
>> ubiquitous as Composer installing PHP extensions, but until then the less
>> amount of extensions the better for end users.
>>

> I agree with your last thought. The fewer extensions the better for end
> users but what I have a problem with is constantly adding functions to the
> standard library instead of writing a library that fulfills the need.
> Along with extensions the fewer functions/classes are bundled the better
> for end users.
>
> Cheers,
> Michał Marcin Brzuchalski

If we're being practical here, json_validate has been proposed and accepted
already, so the discussion is not whether to add a new function or not, but
instead whether to improve it to also validate schema. So the concern
doesn't seem relevant.

But for the sake of argument, the addition of it has no negative impact on
me while with extensions there are, so it's no-brainer for me.