Hi,

> There are still a lot of people who use a cheap shared host, edit a file
> directly on the live environment, and expect it to just work without needing
> any kind of rebuild or restart step.

Nothing will change in that sense, the only difference is the addition of
compile-time autoloading and type checking.

No preloading (in the sense of no opcache configuration needed), nothing
special.

> If you use the JIT in advance, it becomes a very different tool - the point
> of JIT compilation is to make use of runtime information about hot paths, the
> actual types of dynamic arguments, etc

Not with function JIT, function JIT is the closest thing we currently have to
an AOT compiler in php (minus the actual executable generation, since it all
happens in memory), it just compiles opcodes without any optimizations based on
runtime type information (unlike tracing JIT, which does use runtime type
information).

Regards,
Daniil Gentili.