> It sounds like most people are just really, really pissed off by an
implicit variable
I think that it could be good to follow the PHP way to mark the "magic"
stuff, which is putting leading underscores on the magic stuff. It's not
pretty, but it's good because our eyes can detect the magic stuff in the
code almost instantaneously. I particularly have no problems with magic
stuff, since it's well documented. But I admit that the leading underscores
help me find PHP's magic methods inside a class with no effort at all and
that's darn good.

--
Erick Lima