At 17:21 24/08/2005, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
Steph wrote:
> If there's the capability to run PHP 6 without Unicode support, surely
> there's no reason for extensions to lose back compatability when they're
> updated...?

That's going to be tough.  They will definitely lose binary
compatibility because all sorts of internal structures are changing
which a runtime switch can't do anything about.  We may be able to keep
compatibility at the source level, but having extensions that fall over
when you turn on unicode semantics would be a real pain.  It might be a
feature to break them and have a nice FAQ on what needs to be done to
upgrade the extension to support Unicode.

Not that I agree with Derick on changing the meaning of E_ERROR.

I think we should strive for maintaining source level compatibility. I don't think it's a good feature to break the compatibility on purpose :)

Zeev