Steph wrote:
> Hi Rasmus,
>

>>Steph wrote:
>>
>>>If there's the capability to run PHP 6 without Unicode support, surely
>>>there's no reason for extensions to lose back compatability when they're
>>>updated...?
>>
>>That's going to be tough.  They will definitely lose binary
>>compatibility because all sorts of internal structures are changing
>>which a runtime switch can't do anything about.  We may be able to keep
>>compatibility at the source level, but having extensions that fall over
>>when you turn on unicode semantics would be a real pain.  It might be a
>>feature to break them and have a nice FAQ on what needs to be done to
>>upgrade the extension to support Unicode.
>

> Ouf - you're effectively saying that Unicode support will need to be enabled
> via INI directives on a per-extension basis?  Or that there will need to be
> two versions of every PHP extension?

Not at all.  But it would be nice if the extension did something
intelligent when passed an IS_UNICODE string.  IS_UNICODE strings don't
just exist when unicode semantics are turned on either.  So it actually
doesn't matter if that switch is on or not, extensions should handle
Unicode strings.

-Rasmus