> > I looked into it:
> > The problem seems to be ZTS specific.
> > What we have:
> > * First, the value looks correct in phpinfo().
> > * Second setting the value to 6039 (which is the default from php.ini)
> > produces now a lot of _more_ and very strange error messages when
> running
> > PHP scripts.
> >
> > It seems that the webserver puts the value somewhere to a global place
> > because after that *ALL* PHP scripts print very strange things (even
> those
> > where this value is not explicitely set).
>
> How EXACTLY does the web-server put the value?
> To me it looks like you're using some global config file, so no wonder
> it's put globally.

It is not global. The overwritten value is set only for a specific path (you
can be sure that I know how Sun Webserver works, I maintain the NSAPI
module... :-) ).

The changed value then corrupts the ini entry complete. I found out why this
is so, so this is a _bug_.

The following patch, when reverted fixes it and restores the old behaviour:

http://cvs.php.net/viewvc.cgi/ZendEngine2/zend_ini.c?r1=1.39.2.2.2.8&r2=1.39
.2.2.2.9&pathrev=PHP_5_2

I do not know why, but it seems that this request specific code tries to
overwrite the definition of the ini entry and corrupts it in a ZTS
environment. After that every request this webserver handles (even when not
affected by a overwritten value produces nice error messages.

> > Could it be that there happened a ZTS regression when updating the ini
> > scanner? In 5.2.3 it worked correctly.
>
> I don't know what exactly is the problem and how to reproduce it, so it
> makes little sense to ask _me_ about it.
> Do you have a short reproduce case that doesn't require Solaris, Sun Web
> server and other stuff we don't have?

Take Apache on Windows... :)

I doid not want to ask you alone, the mail was to [EMAIL PROTECTED]