Hi!

As intl will requires it, why is it unacceptable?

intl is specialized extension for people dealing with global environments. It will be enabled only by people that really need it. ext/date is much more general-purpose function, used by thousands of applications that don't care at all about global calendars and other ICU stuff. Requiring them to have ICU library and carry it around just because they want dates, and because of the possibility that someday someone might want to print dates both in French and Russian does not seem like a smart move to me.

If you think (you as in all of you :) that having ICU as required
dependency in 5.3 is not acceptable, we can make it optional. That

How? If date formatter built into ext/date, ext/date in order to build would require ICU.

would be bad for intl as we will not be able to rely on it. About 5.2,
there is no clean solution but to provide the same API than the one
available through ext/date but via pecl/intl (that does not sound too
complicated and would solve the forward compatibility problem).

I'm not sure what you are proposing here, could you explain?

Just in case it is relevant, I do not think it is practical to split code bases between 5.2 and 5.3 - unless somebody volunteers to support these separate branches - maintaining 5 and 6 separately is work enough. If it's irrelevant, please ignore it.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]