Stanislav Malyshev wrote:
Hi!

I meant to duplicate the code from ext/date (where it belongs) in
pecl/intl. Please notice the "pecl/intl" not php-src/ext. The goal is
to provide the DateFormatter feature to php 5.2 users.

Great, right now 5.2 users can use intl extension from pecl, including DateFormatter.

As Derick said, it should be in ext/date. I quickly reviewed the
dateformat/* code and did not catch any stopping point to actually
move the code in ext/date. I agree that it will add some tiny extra

You'll also need to copy error handling and charset conversion, at least.

work but it is really worth the effort. Having the date code in one
place will benefit the users, from a quality and usability point of
view.

Actually, the users couldn't care less in which directory the source code was located. They care about the API provided - so do you propose to provide different API? If so, which one? As for quality, I don't see what extra quality would copying this code provide.

That could work as well as long as it is:

- completely transparent to the users (no worry here)
- team work and (very) good communication  between ext/date
maintainers and intl maintainers (I worry more here ;), that means
ext/date maintainers should have a word/voice in intl :)

As I already said, anybody who wants to contribute is welcome. Actually, only discussion on date (or any non-bug-related matters for that matter :) is held for now right here. If you want to move it, say, to php-i18n, I'm OK with that too.

Personally I see this as another totally irrelevant side track from getting PHP6 out! *I* have a perfectly functional date system that I have no intention of changing until I *CAN* go to a stable unicode based system. Blasting 'Date' into earlier versions broke that for many of us without actually offering anything practical and as yet I see no reason to waste time changing !!! PLEASE can all this effort on YET ANOTHER VERSION OF PHP (5.3) be directed to getting a stable build of PHP6 out of the door so we can all have something to aim for. Changing and extending PHP5 yet again is distracting from getting all the PHP4 users on board, so can we please nail PHP5 down NOW and keep all this potentially nice stuff until we HAVE a new flat platform. I can see peoples arguments for not standardising on unicode but nowadays with international trade ALL of my web site activity HAS to cope with names and addresses from around the world so even ascii luddites will get caught out sometime unless they have found a way to block all overseas access :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL