Philip Olson wrote:
PHP 5.3 is approaching fast, so let's conclude our dealings with magical
quotes... this should be the last time. Please have a look at the following
RFC and discuss it within this thread.

Magic Quotes in PHP 5.3 and beyond
- http://wiki.php.net/rfc/magicquotes

It recommends changes to both 5_3 and 6_0 branches, namely, removing
E_DEPRECATED from the get_ magical quote functions. Silence means you're
okay with the RFC being implemented.

We already agreed on restoring them in HEAD but with a warning
(instead of the fatal error introduced by the removals). We still
leave the E_DEPRECATED in 5.3 as it is actually deprecated.

I disagree that we agreed on this, as our last discussion was murky at best. Getting and setting are totally different and should be clarified as such... the RFC does this.

magic quotes goes in PHP6 - if you want it gone get behind PHP6 and lets stop further delaying tactics by producing yet another unnecessary branch of PHP5!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL