marius popa wrote:
I was looking at the examples used in php.js library
http://phpjs.org/functions/index
and it struck me that is cleaner to read the functions and code without the
$ names in it

From what i understand  $ in front of variables is an Perl legacy

And how do you propose to do string interpolation?

echo "This is a $var in a string";

or:

echo <<<EOB
This is a $var in a heredoc
EOB;

This is the heart and soul of PHP which isn't possible without a way to identify a variable. I suppose you could argue that you would have two ways to indicate a variable, $var for interpolation and var without, but that gets even messier. One consistent way is cleaner.

-Rasmus