On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 20:05 +0100, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> On 19.03.2009, at 14:32, Arnaud Le Blanc wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > After having seen some complaints about ticks being deprecated I'm
> > wondering if they could be un-deprecated for now.
> >
> > Ticks are used by the pcntl extension to call signal handlers when
> > signals are triggered. I added some functions as an alternative, but
> > this does not covers all use cases (and forces a code change).
> >
> > When searching bug reports about ticks, one can feel the ticks to be
> > broken (and this is why they have been deprecated). However, looking
> > in
> > depth at these bugs and viewing what caused them and how they have
> > been
> > fixed does not show really bad things about ticks.
> >
> > Actually one thing is broken (and is marked as such in the
> > documentation), tick functions do not work in ZTS, this looks fixable.
> >
> > Any thoughts on removing the deprecation warning for now ? (at least
> > until a replacement is found).
> >
> > Sorry for posting this so close to the freeze.
>

> So what is it going to be?
> I remember everybody was happy when it was deprecated.

The only thread I found about that is here:
http://marc.info/?l=php-internals&m=121442930703916&w=2

> Indeed the only open ticket is #47198, which is the doc bug. Or did we
> close tons of ticks bugs because it was deprecated?

I've seen one bug marked as wont fix for this reason. I've searched for
"ticks" and looked at the last few pages of bugs, many was really bogus,
or documentation issues. Some was related to register_tick_function()
and are fixed. I seen nothing really bad or related to the engine.

The ZTS issue looks fixable, this is a crash when using
register_tick_function() due to the list of functions not being initialized
in the threads.

Regards,

Arnaud