On 12 Mar 2010, at 23:33, Jani Taskinen wrote:

13.3.2010 0:18, Stanislav Malyshev wrote:
Hi!

There are going to be some technical challenges. Some (maybe a lot) of
test
will need updates or rewriting. run-tests.php may need more improvements than what is already planned. Knowing this, I would still rather update
run-tests.php and fix the tests, then continue to applying tests to
different branches of the code base.

I still have yet to hear *how* these tests are supposed to be updated,
to work everywhere. It's very easy to say "oh, we'll just fix them" -
but how exactly you're going to fix them if the test is supposed to do one thing in 5.2 and another in 5.3? Are you going to have 2 versions of

What tests are you really talking about here? I thought we have regression tests in there which test that stuff does not change between versions. Such test AFAICT help us to keep stuff to work like it worked before and after some change somewhere in the related code. So there should not be any need for any updates given the tests aren't for some reason different between branches in which case they aren't really the same test anymore.

Short version: if test works in 5.2 it also has to (!) work in 5.3. Otherwise the test is pointless.

Can you define the case you're referring to here or are we actually talking about totally different thing?

I recently wrote a patch for DOMDocument::saveHTML which made a test from 5.3 start failing: it expected there was no first argument, triggering an error when one was provided. I, in changing the function to mirror DOMDocument::saveXML, made this fail by adding a node argument: if we cannot even add functionality to where we currently trigger errors, then we can do very little to the language.

For the subset of tests which are /not/ testing errors are thrown, I entirely agree, we should just change behaviour of code that does not currently throw errors. But we have tests for more than just that. We have tests that check errors are thrown in cases, and those tests we should be able to change at will.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>