See other post as well

Nathan Nobbe wrote:

git archive cranks out a single file representing any commit in the
repository, it can even format the archive w/ zip for the windows folks ;)
YES but without any header updates to the files.
Once unzipped you have no idea what version a file is, and that IS causing problems in the field. If you can replace the whole package of code, then it may not be a problem, but well structured pakcaged systems really need a little help when people can THEN mix and match.

> also, the svn merge tracking is convoluted, there's a lot to have to
know at the user level just to get around it.  I've found it a lot
easier to trust the merges from git than I ever did svn, and actually
ran svn 1.5 for a while with their merge-tracking, which doesn't work
correctly without proper user interaction read: --reintegrate ..

I'm not a core php dev, but I have dealt w/ a lot of version control,
and frankly moving to git from svn was an even better move than cvs to
svn, no doubt about it.

I tried to work with git for over a month ... but my live customer base is on windows and git is simply not compatible ... hg is working nicely for me even talking into github, but managing several packages ( both binary and script ) that integrate into a single is something neither git or hg currently handle fully. One ends up switching between tools to keep things in sync, which is easy on Linux, but a pain on Windows.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL