Dave Ingram wrote:
git archive cranks out a single file representing any commit in the
repository, it can even format the archive w/ zip for the windows
folks ;)
YES but without any header updates to the files.
Once unzipped you have no idea what version a file is, and that IS
causing problems in the field. If you can replace the whole package of
code, then it may not be a problem, but well structured pakcaged
systems really need a little help when people can THEN mix and match.
I can't speak for other DVCS systems, but you could use a git "smudge
filter" to add any sort of source-control headers if you really, really
want to:
http://chillibear.org/2010/04/git-and-cvs-like-keyword-expansion-idents.html

Now that is one I have not seen, but outlines the reasons for wanting it nicely. It does highlight another part of this jigsaw ... need ruby running as well as python and php ;)

I know that we are not going to get a nice clean PHP solution, but the spread of languages needed just seems to be growing just to add DVCS?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL