dukeofgaming wrote:
Yet another one here:http://hginit.com/00.html

<http://hginit.com/00.html>The title says it all: "Subversion re-education".
It is actualyy a somewhat neutral article even though the page is a
mercurial tutorial.

Actually this probably point up one of the fundamental differences between the different ways of working.

'Most people work with Mercurial through the command line'
... fill in your own package ...

Personally I very rairly use any of these from the command line, since Eclipse has fully integrated facilities. The statement 'it just works from the cammand line' only applies if that is what you are still using, but even CVS I would have to dig out the manual to use the command line.

Productivity wise, having to pull out of the IDE to do code management is the main problem with switching from CVS/SVN to any of the alternatives, but the main thing I can't understand is how people actually MANAGE with command line when dealing with a large number of changes? A graphical facility is almost essential when navigating around complex code trees and viewing diffs which are more than a few dozen lines?

( Pierre this is probably one of the reasons I had so much trouble building PHP on windows ... simply because I have used graphic IDE's since C++ Builder 1 days and before :( Command line working is a somewhat different mind set ... and prior to C++ I was working on hand coded machine code ... )

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL