Just for the record....I didn't say popularity was a reason to use a DVCS. I said the popularity of DVCSes might cause server strain (if a lot of people want to convert the public SVN repo to a distributed one, downloading all the changes in the repo, which SVN really wasn't designed for, that would be a heavy load--and positively correlated to popularity: more popular, more conversions, more load).

I agree with your closing point, though: I'd love to see us look for a low-load way of providing an Hg mirror and/or a Git mirror. I also think that either a mirror or a change of VCS may attract developers in the medium-term. However, I also think that current developers carry a lot more weight than potential developers, and it's important for them to be able to work in a way that is comfortable for them. So a mirror or two would be nice, and I'd push for that, but a change of official repo I will merely suggest be considered longer term.

Ben.